BOAT DEMOLITION AND DISPOSAL
San Diego Boat Storage offers a turn-key suite of services for the removal and disposal of abandoned and liened vessels.
In recent years, it has become increasingly difficult to dispose of boats at landfills because of the extensive state, and in some cases, municipality rules and regulations involved. This has shifted the responsibility and liability onto marinas and other public entities. We have recently found in the SD Boat Storage yard (where we have over 60 vessels stored), that some of our boats end up being abandoned and have to be lien sold. Ultimately, we are then responsible for disposing of those that remain unsold.
We have found it more practical and cost effective to create an environmentally safe area in our yard to carry out demolition projects within a tightly controlled environment. We have the facilities to deal with all of the environmental issues, such as the proper disposal of diesel, gasoline, motor oil, batteries, fire extinguishers, and flares, using our excellent partnerships with licensed Hazmat companies in Northern and Southern California.
Now we are offering these Boat Demolition and Disposal Services to you:
- Provide certificates of insurance demonstrating liability coverage in the amounts of $1,000,000 to $2,000,000, and naming your organization as Additional Insured.
- Whenever possible, SD Boat Storage will combine multiple vessels (from your location and others) to create one larger demo/disposal project, in order to share costs and reduce per-vessel costs of demolition. These savings can be substantial.
- SD Boat Storage will set up the demolition site surrounded by chain link fence with dust screen.
- SD Boat Storage’s demolition ground would be protected by steel trench plates over collection tarpaulin, and surrounded with 18” silt fence with straw wattle base, all in compliance with best management practices. Additional oil absorbent pads are kept on hand as well.
- SD Boat Storage will clean, and scrape, the vessel’s bottom, or contract for same, typically while the boat is still in the water.
- Any residual oil and fuel that has not been previously removed by client/owner will be removed by SD Boat Storage prior to demolition as necessary.
- SD Boat Storage will remove all hazardous waste from tanks, hydraulic tanks and holding tanks in compliance with the California Environmental Protection Agency (Cal/EPA), Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), California Health and Safety Code and Title 22, and California Code of Regulations. Each 55-gallon drum will be removed at the additional cost of $350.00 per drum (standard HazMat Transporter cost) Plus handling fees and transported by a licensed HazMat Transporter.
- SD Boat Storage will use an excavator, with thumb, to crush vessel(s), and debris will be loaded either into highside semi-dump trailers or debris boxes. Main engines, generators and batteries, and all other materials not accepted at landfills will be disposed of in compliance with EPA/DTSC standards as outlined above.
- The designated demolition area will be left clean and undamaged. Any temporary damages incurred during the demolition process will be corrected to the state prior to demolition, by SD Boat Storage.
- The client receives documentation from the landfill or recycling center, verifying proper disposal.
- All environmental issues will be handled by a fully licensed environmental company.
- All Davis Bacon wage standard regulations will be met by SDBS.
Click the blue button and fill out the form, or contact Leland by phone to get an estimate for your boat demolition project: 619.507.5071.